By this point, we already know that bikes are awesome and good for you, cars are useful for a few limited things but comes with major disadvantages, and electric bikes combine most of the advantages of both.
Building an electric bicycle is not as difficult as people think.
To build an E-bike, you only need 5 parts!
1. Motor: A unit that goes in watts. This kit allows the bike to cruise around with no pedal input.
3. Battery; bigger is better.
4. A motor controller that regulates battery power.
5. Charger: Lithium-ion batteries are temperamental beasts. They last much longer if you don’t charge them up to 100%.
Wiring connecting the motor, throttle and battery.
Step 1 – How To Build An E Bike
First, you need to find a good working bicycle that could be modified into an E-bike. Make sure it’s proper and has good brakes. The basic bike must have space for the battery in the triangle between the legs or you will need a rack for a rear mount battery.
Before installing batteries, you need to explore the voltage of battery pack you possess before you start the search for other parts. Lithium batteries are the best. The most typical voltages for e-bikes are 24 volts and 36 volts. You can go even higher 48 volts.
1. Remove the bottom bracket. Note that you’ll need special tools for this.
2. Install the mid-drive motor unit.
3. Install the battery pack mount and battery.
4. Install the electronics including the speed sensor on the back wheel, the display unit and throttle on the handlebars.
5. Connect all of the electronics.
Give these steps a try when building your E Bike! Let us know how it goes if you do, and if there are any further steps you think we should add to this article!